Hysterical

We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.

I am at a complete loss of what to write here. So many things are happening and not happening all at the same time.

Last time I posted, I told you guys about having an amniocentesis to check Spider Monkey’s lung maturity.

On Thursday, I went back to House O’Babies. They had the initial report from the perinatologist stating that the tests suggest immaturity and suggesting a repeat amnio in 10 days. I discussed this with midwife Michael and said that another amnio 10 days later would put us squarely at the end of week 37 and that I had been told that House O’Babies would want to induce/section me the very next week (week 38) according to their protocols so I wasn’t sure what the purpose of another amnio was. Michael agreed with me, but said that we needed to discuss further with Dr Potter (the perinatologist).

Spider Monkey was in a funny position on Thursday and it was difficult to get her heartbeat so Michael wanted me to come back on Monday both to consult about the amnio again and to get the NST. Michael also checked my cervix – still no effacement (thinning of the cervical lip) or dilation (opening of the cervical opening).

So I had the whole holiday weekend to decide that I did not want another amnio. I was pretty adament about this.

Monday afternoon found me back at House O’Babies. This time, my appointment was with midwife Stephanie. She took my blood pressure (122/72) and monitored my urine for glucose and protein (still no glucose in the urine – good sign and still a trace of protein – which they aren’t worried about right now). Then she strapped me into the NST. We got Spider Monkey’s heart beat immediately and got the results we needed pretty quickly. Then, we went on to discuss the situation with the amnio. Stephanie said that she had consulted with one of the OB/GYN’s and they wanted Dr Potter to reevaluate the size of the baby and go over the amnio results with me before we decided what to do. Stephanie called Dr Potter’s nurse who also thought that we might go ahead and repeat the amnio on my next appointment and wanted to see fresh biophysical profile information.

So Monday night/Tuesday morning, knowing that this appointment was pretty important, I did what I do when in an uncertain situation. I woke up at 2 in the morning and couldn’t go back to sleep. As always, my mind was racing. After about 30 minutes, I decided that I’d get up and take a bath.

Should I admit to you how scared I was and am? Should I admit to crying hysterically in the bath tub? Should I admit to all the fears of trouble during delivery I have?

These are real fears. I realize too that these fears are normal for a woman in the 37th week of pregnancy. I also realize that women in the third trimester can be weepy.

I am just so miserable at this point that I will do anything to speed this up. Walking is a joke – my pelvic bones feel like they are grinding when I walk. Sitting doesn’t help at all. In fact, sitting for longer than a couple of minutes makes walking even more painful for a few minutes. Lying down barely helps. Like sitting, when I first get up to walk after lying down, it’s agony.

So when I got in the tub at 2:30 in the morning, I spent a lot of time crying about the pain I felt, about the fears I have about delivery. I finally got back to sleep about 4:30. So, when the clock went off at 5AM, there was no way in hell I was going to work. Moo was in the tub by then and said he thought I should stay home and that he should take me to my doctor’s appointment that afternoon.

So yesterday afternoon, we went in for a full biophysical profile, ultrasound and consultation with Dr Potter.

The baby still looks great. Her growth slowed down a little which is great and means that I’m successfully managing the gestational diabetes. She’s gained less than half a pound since the last profile and is now an estimated 8 pounds 4 ounces.

However, Dr Potter told me that the amnio was “terrible”. Her lung maturity at 36 weeks 2 days was that of a baby that was 26 weeks. It’s too late for steroid injections which would help speed up the maturity and only time will help now. He also recommended another amnio on July 11.

So it’s back on Friday for another amnio and I was back in the tub last night hysterical again. This time, I was’t worried about delivery. I was crying for my little girl.

The lungs are the last system to mature in babies. Gestational diabetes aggravates this and causes a slow down in the maturation. SM’s lungs are nowhere near ready to work on their own and delivery now would probably mean a stay in NICU. I have no idea what any of this means long term. Dr Potter said that her lungs will eventually mature, but whether it’s in utero or out is now the question.

I realized this morning on the way to work that I need to think about this another way… my body knows that SM isn’t ready to come out. It’s not uncommon to begin dialating weeks prior to delivery. But I’m not effacing or dialating, so my body is still holding on to her, still waiting for the perfect time to deliver and I have to have faith in this.

But I still need a miracle. My little girl needs a miracle.

3 thoughts on “Hysterical

  1. I have been quietly following your blog for awhile now and am really happy for you guys. As for SM’s lungs, your fears are very understandable. You must feel very out of control of the whole situation. Let me say this—during my time as a paramedic, I did numerous NICU transfers to and from Gwinnett Medical Center. Those places give AMAZING care. A stay in the NICU is likely to be just a bump in the road, if it materializes at all. I know that you just want this whole thing over and her home. That WILL come. Like you said, your body is keeping her where she needs to be for now. If that changes, it will be okay. God has it all in hand. You just need to trust that. It’s hard to do when it involves your kid, but He’s got your back. If you have any questions or concerns, drop me an email at mattcache4@gmail.com. I can try to answer any questions based on my limited background.

  2. By the way, I just re-read my first comment and realized that you might not know who this is. It’s Rusty.

  3. I am so sorry. This just plain sucks. But you’re right…it doesn’t look like your body is ready to let her handle this on her own. I hope you’re able to feel better (and that some of the pain and discomfort lets up) and that you’re able to find some peace about your little girl.

    You’re both in my thoughts and prayers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *